Submitted by: Dean Baker Date: March 26, 2015
BGCC Course Update
New bentgrass greens... Healthy!
There is no doubt that spring is in the air. With the warmer weather, the snow is disappearing. The first view of our snow free golf course is favourable. The healthy snow fall in January kept the course under a nice blanket which protected turf from the frigid February temperatures. There was little to no ice accumulation which also helped. We are looking forward to a routine start-up this spring, which will be most welcome after last year.
Our spring Maintenance schedule is dictated by Mother Nature and will require the following:
- The snow must disappear.
- The frost needs to be out of the ground.
- The ground needs to dry out and be firm enough to drive on without causing any damage.
Once we reach this point it generally takes 2 weeks to clean and prep the course for opening. Judging from current weather forecasts, we hope to be on the course by late March /early April. This would give us an opening date of around the 17th of April.
- As mentioned in past communications, a small amount of construction is to be completed on the 11th & 14th tees. These tees will be sodded in the spring and ready to play early June.
- All greens are healthy & will be playable in April. You will notice the new bentgrass is slower to green up in the spring. Bentgrass does require higher temperatures than Poa to start spring growth. Tees & fairways (Poa) will be well on their way with good spring colour while greens will be browner. Rest easy, they are all very healthy.
- Constructed bunkers from last fall will still have bunker boards but these will come out as the new sod surrounds knit properly.
- The new cart paths are beautiful. This year we will certainly enjoy a smoother ride with no dust!
Looking forward to seeing everyone out on the links!
About the AuthorFollow on Twitter More Content by Dean Baker